Rock lobster season closing in West Coast waters

Recreational fishers on the West Coast are being warned to be prepared for the closure of the rock lobster fishing season at 6pm on May 31.

The annual closure will ban all recreational rock lobster fishing in South Australian waters and will remain in place in the Northern Zone, which includes the Eyre Peninsula and Far West Coast until midday on November 1.

Once the closure comes into place all rock lobster pots must be removed from the water.

Primary Industries and Regions SA Fisheries and Aquaculture executive director Sean Sloan said the annual closure helped maintain a healthy lobster population.

"These closures protect the long-term sustainability of the rock lobster fishery and ensure the recreational fishery operates within its allocated share of the resource," he said.

"Our Fisheries officers will continue to conduct patrols in coastal waters throughout the closed season."

Mr Sloan said if rock lobster pots were found in the water during the closed season the owners risked being fined and having their pots seized.

The most recent South Australian Recreational Fishing Survey had revealed more than 100,000 southern rock lobster had been caught during the survey period.

Anyone who sees suspicious or illegal fishing activity is encouraged to report to the 24-hour Fishwatch number on 1800 065 022, callers can remain anonymous.

More information about the closure can be found at www.pir.sa.gov.au/fishing or through the SA Recreational Fishing Guide app.