Wirrulla reach Mid West decider | PHOTOS

Wirrulla have advanced to the Mid West netball grand final following a tight five-goal victory over West Coast at Wudinna on Saturday.

The Hawks inflicted Wirrulla’s lone defeat in 2018 earlier this month however could not produce a repeat in a 48-43 result.

Wirrulla started well to net the first few goals in a match between two strong defences.

As quarter-time approached, the Bombers missed a few goals which the Hawks made the most of with accurate shooting to take a 13-10 lead at the break.

The Bombers hit back in the second term to level the scores, although hesitating with some of their passes created a few held balls. 

Wirrulla’s strength increased with their accuracy also improving, to lead by two at half-time.

The Hawks made changes yet it was Wirrulla who forged further ahead as play settled in the third term.

It was an evenly-contested period thereafter with superb defensive work at both ends and little to give in the centre of the court.

West Coast grabbed the opening four goals of the final quarter yet it was not enough as the Bombers came away with the victory.

Sarah Evans, Katherine Kitto and Hayley Webb were the best on court for the Bombers, while Karli Sargent, Julie Schmucker and Amy Carey played well for the Hawks.

West Coast have the double chance as they face Western Districts in the preliminary final at Elliston this Saturday.

West Coast secured a four-goal victory in the B grade against Central Eyre.

There was not much in it as the Hawks came away with a 52-48 result.

Central Eyre will contest the preliminary final against Elliston for the right to have another crack at the Hawks.

West Coast reached the C grade grand final following their comfortable 45-28 win over Wudinna.

The opener was a very good quarter with good presses and clean intercepts and at the end of it the Hawks led by three goals.

Everybody stepped it up a notch in the second term and the Hawks had some fresh legs come on which helped until the final five minutes of the quarter when the Magpies ran away to convert consecutive goals and lead 17-16 at half-time.

West Coast recovered in the third term as Wudinna could not find their rhythm following changes.

The Hawks led 32-24 at three-quarter time which made it hard for Wudinna to catch-up in the final term and they were unable to do so as they went down by 15.

The Magpies will have another chance this weekend when they take on Elliston.

Wudinna got past West Coast in a D grade thriller, winning by two goals.

The Hawks took control of the opening minutes to lead, yet Wudinna hit back to go ahead by one goal at quarter-time.

Wudinna took command of the second term to extend their lead to five by half-time.

With strong defensive work and accurate shooting they had possession for the majority of the quarter.

Things changed in the third term as after making several changes the Hawks came out firing, winning the quarter and gaining 11 goals although still trailing by one goal heading into the final quarter.

After a very close and tense final term Wudinna came out on top to win 37-35.

West Coast will meet Wirrulla in Saturday’s preliminary final.

Wudinna got the better of Central Eyre 47-39 in the Junior A semi final to reach the decider.

The Magpies started well to go five goals clear before Central Eyre got their first – yet once the Bulldogs settled they quickly eradicated the deficit, thanks also to their defensive work.

Wudinna made changes for the second quarter which took Central Eyre unaware and saw them enjoy a four-goal lead going into the half-time break.

They then cemented their lead with a consistent showing in the third quarter, finishing off the match with another fine display in the fourth quarter to win by eight goals.

Meika Tomney was the star performer for Wudinna, while Natasha Waters played her part for Central Eyre.

Wudinna have the week off as Central Eyre face West Coast in the preliminary final.

West Coast reached the Junior B grand final following their 42-24 success against Central Eyre.

It was a nervous start from both teams with plenty of intercepts and turnovers caused by great defensive pressure, with both teams struggling for accuracy under the ring.

Centrals finished with a goal on the whistle to take an 8-7 lead into the first break.

Changes to the Hawks’ line-up brought height into the goal ring and added strength to their defence.

While play was more controlled by both sides there continued to be a number of turnovers, as West Coast’s improved accuracy saw them take the lead in the final minutes to go into half-time ahead by a goal.

Centrals remained unchanged while the Hawks showed their versatility by switching it up for the third term.

Jada Frick and Gabrielle Redding combined well in the circle for the Hawks, shooting and rebounding strongly.

Both teams showed great determination to fight for any loose ball, but it was West Coast’s accuracy under the ring which saw them pull out to a six-goal lead.

There were further changes made by both teams ahead of the final quarter, with the Hawks settling quickly.

Central Eyre had opportunities but struggled to put the ball through the hoop, whereas accurate shooting at the other end cemented West Coast’s passage to the grand final with an 18-goal success.

Central Eyre have the double chance against Wudinna.