January 6 is the one day of the year that all youngsters, mums and dads waking up in Streaky Bay eagerly anticipate.
This is the day that Streaky Bay Tourism stages the popular Family Fish Day on the iconic Streaky Bay Jetty, and perhaps the best part is that entry is free. There are big cash prizes in 2018 for keen anglers who land the big one or two off the jetty.
Streaky Bay Tourism anticipate a large crowd will throng to the jetty to throw a line in and try their luck. The family friendly fun event is a chance to win great prizes.
Prize money categories this year are:
- $100 for the heaviest scale fish caught
- $50 for the heaviest scale fish runner–up
- $10 for the heaviest fish caught for each category and;
- $5 to participants who catch three different species of fish
In addition to the sought-after cash prizes, registered anglers 18 years and under receive a prize bag and there is an exceptional quality rod and reel awarded to the unluckiest angler on the fun filled day.
This ensures that most anglers walk away with prize money and/or as assortment of small fishing tackle items.
This advertising feature has been sponsored by the following businesses. Click the links to learn more.
- District Council of Streaky Bay
- Streaky Bay Tourist Promotions
- Streaky Bay Surf and Style
- Crowders Tyre service
- Killa`s Fuel and tackle
- Streaky Bay meat Service
- Streaky Bay Marine Products
Anglers are encouraged to register from 8.30am onward before getting down to the business of catching the big one. Participants can cast off from 9am and continue until the close of competition at 1pm.
Streaky Bay Tourism encourages a catch and release policy for the event. A sausage sizzle and refreshments will be available from 10.30am with proceeds going to Streaky Bay Tourism. Killas, Streaky Bay will sell bait onsite for a bargain rate so that anglers do not have to leave the competition site.
Extreme weather may postpone Family Fish Day with 24 hours’ notice for:
- A catastrophic fire danger rating (which is confirmed the day before the applicable day) is issued or;
- The forecast day prior is for 38 degrees or above (on the ABC radio or television) and;
- There are severe or extreme weather conditions predicted for the day of the event or that interrupt the event.
A postponement communication plan will be implemented for the public to all stakeholders via Flow FM radio, Facebook, notices at the site and verbally.
If the event is cancelled before or on January 6, then it is likely that the event will be rescheduled for Saturday, January 13.
Streaky Bay Tourism thank major sponsor Killas, Streaky Bay, the Streaky Bay Community Hotels Grant and sponsors Shimano Neptune Tackle, South Australian Fishing Tackle Agencies, SA Bait, Donald & Janet Williams, Bronte Williams for the use of his trailer and all volunteers.