Salt Creek attack: Roman Heinze jailed

RELATED: Salt Creek attacker named as Roman Heinze after court order lifted

Former chef Roman Heinze, who violently attacked two backpackers at Salt Creek in South Australia last year, has been jailed for at least 17 years.

In the Supreme Court on Wednesday, Justice Trish Kelly handed down a sentence of 22 years and four months with a non-parole period of 17 years for the attacks on the women - a Brazilian and a German - and for some previous offences.

In March, Heinze, 61, was found guilty on six charges including indecent assault, aggravated kidnapping and endangering life.

He attacked the backpackers on a remote beach south-east of Adelaide, where they had been camping while on a drive to Melbourne, in February last year.

He had met one of the women on classifieds website Gumtree when she advertised for a ride to Melbourne.

Heinze picked the pair up at a train station before driving them to sand dunes in South Australia's Coorong National Park, where the violent assaults took place.

He tied up the Brazilian woman with rope and sexually assaulted her before hitting the German woman on the head with a hammer several times and repeatedly ramming her with his four-wheel-drive. 

Justice Kelly told Heinze the Salt Creek attacks were committed "solely in pursuit of the gratification of your own perverted sexual fantasies and desires".

She said Heinze was "utterly depraved" and lacked any morale compass whatsoever.

The crimes against the two women defied any reasonable or rational explanation, Justice Kelly said.

Heinze was also jailed for an indecent assault against a backpacker in 2014, whom he had similarly offered a ride interstate, and for breaching a bond in relation to a 2014 assault against a fourth women.

Justice Kelly said the nature of how Heinze met his victims called for a warning to young people who used the internet for travel or other social interaction.

"Safety does not necessarily come in numbers," she said.

Prosecutor Jim Pearce told Justice Kelly last week that Heinze had shown no remorse and his prospects for rehabilitation were poor.

He said material obtained from the attacker's computer showed a developing and concerning interest in violent pornography featuring bondage and rape. 

"There is no question of any remorse or contrition being demonstrated here," Mr Pearce said.

"Eventually he will be released, and that's inevitable one would think.

"But in meantime, the public will gain some protection by his incarceration."

Heinze came before South Australia's Court of Criminal Appeal on Monday seeking permission to challenge the verdicts.

The appeal hearing will next be heard on June 26.

AAP

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop